Sunday 1 October 2017

1883-06-23



On a beautiful spring day, June 26, 1883, a famous actor, in Hamilton to appear in a play at the Grand Opera House, was taken on a tour of the city by one of the City Aldermen.
Later that evening, the actor chatted with a reporter from the Hamilton times:
“ ‘In company with the alderman, I breathed the pure air of your scenic hill today,’ said Mr. Trevillick in the Opera House last night, ‘and I can tell you how I was charmed. I have visited all the principal cities of America, and most of those in the world, and I can truthfully tell you I have never seen such a grand and beautiful panorama spread out before my eyes by bountiful nature. The thought that entered my mind while I was gazing on the delightful and diversified picture was ‘How strange it is that the people of Hamilton, living amid such glorious surroundings, should be content with such filthy and abominable streets!’ I think you have the most beautiful scenery and the worst streets of any city I have yet visited. You ought to make the condition of the city more in harmony with its environment.’ ”1
"Our Streets and Scenery"
Hamilton Times June 27, 1883

No comments:

Post a Comment