Friday 8 September 2017

1883-11-19id



“The robber is becoming more bold in the city of Hamilton.”
Hamilton Times.   November  19, 1883.
Robberies were not unknown in the Hamilton of 1883, but the one that took place on James Street North on November 17, 1883 was particularly notable:
“One of the most barefaced and daring robberies which has been reported here for a long time occurred on Saturday night, before all the shops were closed, and ere many of the promenaders of the principal streets had sought their homes.”1
1 “Hamilton Highwaymen”
Hamilton Times.  November 19, 1883.
The Times, without any embellishment allowed the victim of the crime to detail what happened:
“Mr. J. H. Duggan was seen at his residence, corner of James and Stuart streets.
“ ‘You know,’ said Mr. Duggan, ‘that I am proprietor of two stores, one at the corner of James and Cannon, and the other at the corner of James and Stuart streets. Well, last night, I had closed up the former place at 11:30 or thereabouts, and started down the east side of James street toward the other establishment where I reside.
“ ‘Before leaving the store, I had put the proceeds of the day’s sales in my right breeches pocket. Dennis Coughlin, my driver, had walked with me to the corner of Mulberry street and there parted with me.
“ ‘When opposite Christ Church Cathedral, a man came suddenly up to me from the front and pressed his arm against my mouth so hard that I could not breathe. I thought it was somebody who knew me that was attempting to pass a joke with me, but these suspicions were soon dispersed when two other fellows made their appearance and proceeded to open up my overcoat which I had buttoned up tight when I started out.
“ ‘I struggled hard, but they bore me down, and while the one who first came up held me, the others went through my pants pockets. I had from $130 to $135 in bills; these were taken, but some silver was left in the pocket. The lining was ripped in their endeavors to get at the money.
“ ‘I was scratched on the face, and in the struggle which took place, was made to bite my tongue.  It bled profusely. My nose was also hurt. I called out, ‘Murder! Robbers!’ as loud as I could, and two of the parties rushed up James street, and the one who took my money ran along Colborne street. The gentleman who keeps Cheapside, above Barton street, heard my cries and saw the robbers make off, also did a Mr. Phillips, who was walking down James street.”1
The robbery was immediately reported at the small nearby police station at James street north of Stuart, but to no avail, as the robbers were not located.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment