Friday 21 July 2017

1883-11-22ww


“Citizens of Hamilton will receive with much pleasure the information containing in the paragraph, which was received from Ottawa on Saturday night.”

Hamilton Spectator. November 12, 1883.

Ever since Maria McCabe had been sentenced to hang for the killing of her baby, there had been efforts to save her from that fate. Petitions calling for the commutation of her sentence had been placed in local newspaper offices and other public places, and the call for them to be signed had been well-received.

After an agonizing wait, the following telegram was received:

“The papers in the case of the girl McCabe, who was sentenced to be hanged some time ago in Hamilton, were laid before a meeting of the Privy Council today.

“It is understood that the Minister of Justice recommended the death sentence not be carried out, but exchanged for a term of imprisonment of imprisonment; but as such matters are entirely within the prerogative of his Excellency the Governor-General, it is impossible to accurately say what may be the result, although it is more than probable that in such a case as the present, the recommendation laid before him will be complied with.”1

1 “Maria McCabe : The Minister of Justice Recommends Commutation of Her Sentence”

Hamilton Spectator.   November 12, 1883.

It would take another nine days of uncertainty for Maria and her supporters to hear the news they had been hoping to receive. Rather than an official letter of documentation from the Governor-General’s office, the notification came in a different form:

“The original document, which is now in the Spectator’s possession, is not much to look at, but the foolscap page, covered with the cramped and queer-looking characters that schoolboys adopt, is freighted with human life.”2

          2“Maria McCabe : The Official Notification of the Commutation of Her Sentence Arrive”

Hamilton Spectator.   November 22, 1883.

The commutation document, received by Sheriff McKellar, read as follows :

“”SIR : I have the honor to inform you that his Excellency the Governor-General has been pleased, on behalf of her Majesty, to commute the sentence of death pronounced upon the convict Maria McCabe at the recent Wentworth assizes for the crime of murder, such sentence to be carried into effect on Saturday, Dec. 15 next, for imprisonment for fourteen years in the Kingston penitentiary.

“You are hereby directed, in pursuance of the act 36 Vic.;  Cap.41,  Sec. 24, to convey  the said convict to that penitentiary.

“You will also be pleased to acknowledge the receipt of this communication.

“I have the honor to be, sir, your obedient servant,

                                       G. Powell,

                                                Under Secretary of State.”2

Sheriff McKellar proceeded to contact the Governor of the Barton street jail to set up an opportunity for the Sheriff and Maria McCabe to get together :

“The meeting took place  in the Governor’s apartments. When Maria entered the room, the Sheriff greeted her with the words : ‘I have brought good news to you tonight.’

“When the reprieve was being read, she listened quietly, and did not appear to be affected either way. To say that she was not pleased would be to err, but she was undemonstrative.”3

3 “Maria McCabe’s Story”

Hamilton Spectator.    November 23, 1883

The following morning, a representative for the Spectator called at the jail and requested an interview with Maria:

“The Governor demurred at first, but eventually rang a bell and showed the reporter upstairs where the matron, Mrs. Hill, was awaiting his arrival.

“The interview took place in one of the sitting rooms, off which is Maria’s cell. When the young woman entered the room, she was abashed to find a reporter, instead of a charitable lady, but a few kind words from Mrs. Hill placed her at her ease, and as the conversation progressed she spoke freely.

“ ‘I suppose you are well-pleased at the commutation of your sentence,’ said the reporter, by way of opening remark.

“ ‘Yes, I am very thankful,’ was the reply; ‘everyone has been very good to me, although I thought I was friendless. Mrs. Hill acted as a mother would towards me since I came here.

“ Reporter – ‘Do you think the sentence is too long?’

“Ans. – ‘No, I do not. I know I did a bad deed, and I derserve punishment for it.

“Reporter – ‘Have you had many visitors?’

“Ans. – ‘Yes, a number of ladies have called on me, and have helped me to bear my trouble more cheerfully by their kind words. Miss Wilkins has visited me frequently, giving me a quantity of reading material. The sisters of the convent have also visited me regularly since my sentence was passed.. Mrs. Chamberlain has been very good to me, and three or four more ladies, whose names I do not know. I feel very grateful to everyone who has shown me kindness, and I can never forget the goodness of the matron to me. When the judge asked me in the court room if I had any friends, I told him I had none. I felt do dreary that life was then to me of very little worth. Yet I was not prepared for the sentence of death, and when it came, I felt as though a sword had pierced my body.

“Reporter – ‘Have you any relatives?’

“Ans.- ‘I have a father and sisters, the youngest living in the old country. There are seven of my sisters dead. My mother died when I was six years old. My young life was spent in a convent. I little thought at that time that I would ever be sentenced to death or be sent to pentitentiary.”3

So ended the interview, leaving the reporter to share with his readers his impression of the young lady everyone had been reading about since her baby’s dead body was found in a cistern:

“She does not appear to be of that character which her crime would lead one to expect. She is below the medium height, her face is long and thin, and by no means unprepossessing. Two long curls hang from her forehead to her cheeks, and altogether Maria looks like a respectable girl of mild disposition.

“Mrs. Hill, the matron of the jail, said that Maria was one of the best prisoners ever placed under her charge, and that she behaves herself remarkably well. She is very fond of reading, and passes the greater portion of her time at that occupation. She has never uttered a complaint against her sentence or confinement  in the jail.”3

It would take a few weeks before all the paperwork was completed and other arrangements made to allow the transfer of Maria McCabe to Kingston penitentiary.

When the time came for departure, and all the goodbyes were given to those who had supported her, Maria, accompanied by Mrs. Hill was taken to the Grand Trunk Railway station to catch a trail to Kingston.

No comments:

Post a Comment